you are what you read.

i may write my views.
that might appeal to yours.
or even oppose to your beliefs.
i may write my heart out.
to let your hearts know that i, too, know.
i may write long, or short.
i may write jargons.
but words are never jargons to me.
you may succeed to despise my words,
or fail to hide the sense you get in them.
try as you might, do your very best, for trying is living.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

my sister's keeper

i argued with my sis on which book she should buy? i nagged her saying that she should read more intriguing stuff like thrillers or mysteries instaed of a typical teenager's book. while we argued, hey,what is cameron diaz, abigail breslin and a girl i don't know doing on a cover of book? wait, i saw the movie's trailer in youtube the other day. wow, cameron diaz is d mum in d story?? my sister rolled her eyes. duh, u see everything in youtube. she would mime me and start making me look like a fool. i narrowed my eyes. sis, u r soo dead.

i proudly present the first ever book written by jodi picoult that i have read. this post is supposed to be the first one compared to the change of heart that i have posted just now. well, the obvious reason that i wrote about change of heart first because i just finished reading it yesterday. hehehe...

this time, jodi picoult wrote about the sacred and beautiful relationship between siblings. i love her intro tho, the character saying that most babies are accidents. this time, her issue is about how another baby is created to fulfill his or her sibling's medical needs. in this case, anna (the non-accidental-purposely-chosen-chromosome baby) was born so that doctors can use her white cells or bone marrow to help her elder sister's recover.

i must say, the way jodi defined love in this story is absolutely mind boggling. she wrote about a mother's love, a sister's love, an egoistic love and love in a crumbling family institution. BASICALLY,LOVE. things get exciting when anna wanted to sue her parents for abusing her body in order to obtain the required cells( i am no expert to write its scientific name) for her sister's body. that was when i questioned, if i were anna, would i really do it, stop helping my sister when her life depended on me although my life is in peril as well?

i lied on my bed in my campus hostel. a lump formed in my throat. the act of whispering to myself sliced my throat like knives doing their jobs. if one of my sisters was sick like the one in this story, what would i do as a sister?

well, to file her lawsuit, anna met a cold-hearted yet excellent lawyer. the lawyer, in this story, is also facing personal crisis in love. his life is full of ego, he was this bitter person who did not embrace life in a positive way. but when he met anna, things changed for him. he found back his long lost love in high school years, and fought with himself in admitting his weakness or something. i am not going to reveal everything here. hehehe...

in this book, jodi also higlighted issues that my excessive thinking mind would clearly love to ponder upon. like how science is morally wrong when it comes to choosing the perfect chormosome and give birth to perfect babies. also, i thought that at first, anna was just being selfish and attention-seeking because she was so used of being neglected in her younglife. but, as the story progressed, i found that her secrets that she shared with her sister is mutually agreed. they created their own agreement. there were things that anna had to do in order to fulfill the treaty. including the lawsuit part.

the ending was least expected. when all we could expect is happy ending, jodi knows how to manipulate her story to come to a crushing reality in the end. how she portrayed accidents in life is truly eye-opening. that was when i think a lot about appreciating people in my life. in this case, how i really appreciate my sisters??

i arrived at the last page. well, i hoped it wasn't supposed to be that way. but, it is realistic. why not? unless we lose something, then only we will learn how to appreciate. no, i don't want to feel that kind of pain. i took my mobile phone and started calling my sisters although i just called them yesterday. u never know right??









No comments:

Post a Comment